The McConnell Golf Story
McConnell Golf was founded upon its fragile intentions of giving rise to golf history when acquiring Raleigh Country Club, Donald Ross’ last design, on December 1, 2003. What began as a way to preserve the past, has slowly turned to making history as McConnell Golf’s portfolio of courses acquired spans the range of classic to ultra-modern layouts designed by legendary architects strategically located in the Carolinas.
Pete Dye and Tom Fazio courses were added when acquiring the Cardinal Golf & Country Club and Treyburn Country Club in 2006. Arnold Palmer was added in 2007 with the nature-inspired course, Musgrove Mill Golf Club in Clinton, SC. Another Fazio joined the line-up of best ranked courses in North Carolina as Old North State Club was added in May 2009 followed by the purchase of Greg Norman's The Reserve Golf Club in Pawleys Island, SC in April 2010. Over a year later, two more clubs and courses were acquired, Sedgefield Country Club, another Ross course, in February 2011 - the first is the PGA host site for the Wyndham Championship - and then Hale Irwin’s TPC at Wakefield Plantation in August 2011 – the third Triangle course of our footprint located in North Raleigh and home of the REX Hospital Open Nationwide event.
Each of the courses also hold consistent rankings among the top in the Carolinas. In addition to being the host site for two professional tournaments, we are proud to help the youth and amateur level players compete and develop through hosting such tournaments as the Cardinal Am, and both the ACC Men’s and Women’s Championships, to name a few.
With his passion for the game, Mr. McConnell’s excitement to provide the best collection of courses to play, has expanded to a desire to provide not only a competitive golfing experience, hole-for-hole, but also amenity-for-amenity through touching every demographic and lifestyle of our membership with tailored event offerings, on-site accommodations, tennis complexes, fitness centers, among others.
Why McConnell Golf Properties Are Unique For Their Members
- No Assessments for Operating Expenses
- Access to All Eight Properties for One Fee
- Transferability of Membership and Unique Membership Offerings
- All Clubs Are Owned and Operated by a Private Company
- Distinct and Unique Benefits to Attract and Retain a Professional Staff
- Top Course Rankings and Host Site of Major PGA and Amateur Golf Events
- Guaranteed Four Hours of Play and Strictly Regulated Unaccompanied Play and Outside Golf Events
- No Venue Fees for Hosting Business Meetings or Events
- Custom and Free Golf Clinics in the Finest Practice and Game Facilities
- Strong Community Engagement and Sustainability Program